This is a complete guide to How To Start a Blog and Make Money Online.
In this guide you will learn:
- How to start your blog
- How to become an authority
- How to grow your blog
- What and how to sell online
- Blogging tips and tricks
- Blogging best practices
If you want to start blogging and turn this into a professional “hobby”, you will love this blogging guide. I also added a make money online blogging podcast at the end of the post.
STARTING A BLOG
This chapter is an introduction to blogging. I will cover what is important and why it is important in starting a blog.
I will explain basic concepts and make sure that you have a clear understanding of what you are getting into.
If you are at the beginning of the blogging road, this chapter is for you.
Step by step we will walk together.
Here is our first step to Blogging Basics 101.
If somebody tells you that you will earn money from blogging in a month, two months, three months… Don’t believe this person because you never know when exactly you will make money from blogging.
Some people can spend 10 hours a day for blogging and some people can only spend 30 minutes. Also, people have different niches, strategies, experience. So this can’t be known. But there is one thing very clear to bloggers:
You should invest in self-development. And yes, this is education, training, mentorship programs… If you get help and improve your blogging skills, you will take a shortcut and reach your goals much faster.
After you read this blogging guide, I hope you will gain insight about “how to start a blog and make money online”.
So, everyone makes at least one thing good in this life.
What are you good at?
Think about the things you love. Think simple. Very simple. Good at biking, good at cooking, good at writing, good at reading, good at flower growing, good at?.. Simple. Why? Because we are after something you like. Something you can stick with. We are not chasing the money. Yet! We’re chasing our dream job now.
The money will come sooner or later.
If you build a job that will bore you to death, you will leave it soon.
Do we need this?
Ok, then let’s move.
You do not have to start a blog with a very professional website. Blogs now look like websites anyway. Starting a blog on WordPress is easy and they have a free version. You can change the look of your site with free or paid themes. You can also build a much more professional blog by purchasing your own hosting.
If you are going to start a blog and make money online, then it is the best to get your own domain and hosting. You can get your domain and hosting from the same company.
Here is a small guide on how to choose a domain name:
- Not too long.
- Find a domain name that you really like. Getting bored of the domain name will give you hard time.
- Find a domain name that is less specific if you don’t have a specific topic. For example, don’t buy a domain called “onlyfordoctors.com” if you also plan to write about other professions.
- Be creative and let people remember your domain name.
- Check the history of the domain name. (Don’t buy it if it had a shady history.)
And here are some common mistakes that you should avoid when you are starting a blog:
- Picking the wrong topic or the wrong niche.
- Writing for the wrong target audience.
- Not believing in your blog topic or your niche. Not liking the subject of your blog.
- Creating content without passion.
- Picking a wrong blogging tone.
- Copying content from other sites.
- Thinking like, creating like, being like every other identical blog in the blogosphere.
- Just selling and not providing value to your blog audience.
CREATING CONTENT &
DEFINING YOUR TARGET MARKET
In this chapter, we take the second step and learn about the basics of content creation for blogs and how to discover a blog’s target market.
Actually, the pencil and the target explains everything.
We will discover who we are writing for and we will create the best content for this specific group.
Our most valuable property is this pencil.
Let’s find out how to use it.
Here we go for the second blogging step.
Now it’s time to write about your favorite blog topic. Without writing, it will be really hard to show that you are an expert in this field.
Let’s say you like growing flowers and you are good at it. You know a lot about this. And there are hundreds or thousands of people who have tons and tons of questions about this. “How to grow daisies?” they keep asking to Google.
Here you should start writing about “how you give life to daisies and keep them alive” and answer the different questions of those people.
Remember, you are the expert. They need your help.
“Don’t you know how to grow a daisy, sister/brother. Come here, I will teach you!”
Yes, you like growing flowers, you will write about flowers and you will make money from a flower blog, but who is your target group?
Who do you want to address? Who do you want to help? Who do you want to sell to?
This is important. Very important. If you take the target group of the blog too wide, then you can not answer the right questions. When the target market shrinks, you can respond to a more specific group who have more specific questions and you can become a very important resource for this specific audience.
Let’s say you realized that city people are sick and tired of seeing ugly-tall buildings everywhere. And they want to have colorful flowers on their balcony. They want to colorize their life.
Then maybe you can come up with a niche concept like “Balcony Gardening for Beginners”. You can help them have a colorful life.
Who is the target group? Working people who are interested in gardening on their own balcony. Can you solve their problems? I guess you can. And your site will not be one of the hundreds or even thousands of similar blogs on the internet. Your blog is a very important source of information on a very narrow field of gardening. Not bad at all!
Before you start a blog, you should pay attention to keywords. Which sentences do people search on Google? “How to grow daisies?” or “The best way to grow daisies?” Not only in the title, but also in the text, using the right keywords will make you visible on Google.
So you need to do a market research here. Investigate how many times people search this topic and similar topics on Google. You can do this from Google Keyword Planner (free) or KeywordTool.io (not free) or any other keyword research tool.
The more research you make, the more confident you will be. Don’t underestimate this. It will give you a lot!
Also, make a good competitor research before you decide on your blog niche market. Do you have competition? It’s not a good thing if you do not have a competition. There should be a good reason if people didn’t choose to make money in this market. Light competition is good.
What are your competitors doing? Check their websites. Do they have a service or a product that they sell online? What are the competitors doing in other countries? Can you narrow this market further and still make money?
GROWING YOUR BLOG
There is no “best recipe” for growing a blog.
There are “ways” that we can try.
What we do is, we try something. Then we see the results. We analyze the results. And we try to do it better again…
This is a never-ending process.
In this chapter, I will talk about our growth options and the mindset we should build to get ready for this growing a blog challenge.
Let’s take our third step.
Start your blog’s social media accounts. Share your blog posts on these accounts. Make gardening videos on YouTube. Don’t be boring. Act like an expert.
Connect with people and answer their questions. You love this job. Let the world know that you love this job. You are the “right address” for balcony gardening.
Create joint projects with other bloggers. Exchange audiences. Example: Invite people to your online and offline events and join their online and offline events. This will grow both side’s audience. Your community will be happy because they get valuable information from an additional trusted source. This works best when the area of expertise of both bloggers completes and feeds each other.
How to start collaborating with bloggers:
- There are numerous blogs in the blogosphere. The quality is immature mostly. But there are also very important blogs out there. And their content is worth reading, informative, bright, impulsive, clever, fun…
- Find them.
- Read them.
- Analyze them.
- Note down the topics that you want to collaborate with.
- Note down their articles that you want to talk about.
- Note down the blogger’s activities (webinars/meetups/book talks).
- Follow them on social media.
- Write an email. Briefly introduce yourself and your site. Shortly talk about how you enjoy their work. Mention the articles, topics and activities you feel excited to follow and you will be happy to make a collaboration. Don’t write down dozens of blog collaboration ideas.
- Give time to the blogger to read your site and evaluate your work. If you have a sound site in your hand, there is a high chance that you will receive a reply.
B) Before you build Power Groups on Social Media, provide value first. Then create tweet waves with people who you really helped and surf on the impact that you created. Add these people to your Power Group Lists. They are your community. You should really care about them.
Here is the list of well known activities to grow your blog and your online business:
- Invest in education and training.
- Never copy content.
- Create high-quality content for organic traffic.
- Collect emails.
- Run a successful email campaign.
- Make a social media plan. Which sites do you really need to show up? Which activities are waste of time? Get help if you are confused.
- Use ads only when you really need them.
- Organize online (webinar) and offline events (meetups).
- Make promotions.
- Don’t always sell. Help people in your area of expertise. Answer their questions. Be happy that you can help someone. This will give you the energy you need to walk in your path.
- Build your blogging network. Meet new people. Let the world know that you are doing this business, you have a beautiful website and you are open to collaboration.
- Partner, collaborate, work with people. Create win-win projects. Let everybody win.
- Thinking of new ways and meeting new people is an everyday job.
So, what happened?
You started to write in the niche that you love. You now have your site and social media accounts. People are waiting for your next blog post. They ask questions. So you have a living site and you are growing authority.
If you were not interested in what you write, you would not be able to make money from it.
Now we can take some steps to make money from your favourite blog topic.
WHAT TO SELL &
HOW TO SELL ONLINE
In this chapter, I will answer frequently asked questions about selling online like:
- “Selling products or services on my blog?”
- “What kind of products and services can I offer on my blog?”
- “Can you give some blogging examples for business?”
The chapter will be updated frequently with new blogging tips and tricks on selling online.
Here is our fourth step.
What do you want to sell? Again a simple question. How do you want to earn money from blogging? Will you sell products or knowledge? Or will you sell both of them?
Let’s continue with the example of “Balcony Gardening For Beginners”. Can you sell Balcony Garden Kit to these people? (Such as seeds, tools, manuals…)
Or can you sell grown flowers to these people right away? I do not know the answers to these questions. You are the expert. But there is something I know for sure. If you do enough research, you can sell a product to these people who want to be gardeners on their balconies.
When it comes to selling knowledge, what about writing an E-book about this topic?
An e-book that contains the frequently asked questions and the best answers you have on your site. You can sell this book on Amazon, on another e-book platform or on your own website.
What about selling online courses? After all, these people want to grow flowers on their balcony right? This can also be learned with an online course. Your E-book can be a good source for your online course. You can use platforms like Udemy, which offers many tools to easily create the course. Or you can sell this online course on your blog.
If you become successful in online courses, you will see people asking also for one on one courses. You can teach them over Skype. Or you can do a webinar for a crowded audience.
You can also consult companies or startups who want to use your knowledge.
No list is creative enough compared to the list that you will build with your knowledge in your area of expertise.
After you produce high-quality content for your blog, be creative, build your own blogging strategy and try different ways of increasing blog traffic and making more sales.
As you see, there are many options ahead. There will be much more if you start a blog now.
Start blogging now!
I will be with you.
I am in your shoes.
HOW TO START A BLOG AND MAKE MONEY ONLINE PODCAST
I know you love podcasts.
So I recorded a make money blogging podcast for you. In this blogging podcast, you will find all the topics about blogging that I covered in this blog post.
Here you can listen to the podcast:
I hope this guide helped you to have a better understanding about blogging. If it’s useful to you, you can share the guide with your friends by using the buttons below!